Urgo Medical, a family company
Urgo Medical is the advanced wound care division of the French family-group Urgo.
Our mission: healing people
As wounds are a significant source of suffering around the world, our mission, as a Healing Company is to support healthcare professionals to heal people with evidence-based treatments and innovative services so that life can start again for patients.
Our mission is based on three pillars:
- Putting patients at the heart. We give a voice to patients so we can understand their needs and adapt our solutions to better meet them.
- Caring for caregivers. We work closely with healthcare professionals and scientific bodies to develop innovative solutions and educational programs to constantly improve knowledge in advanced wound care.
- Leading with Science. We continually invest in research and development, and deliver robust clinical evidence because we believe in evidence-based treatments.
Our 1,500 employees are passionate about making a difference for patients and we believe that each and everyone of us can contribute to our achievements and to the company’s story.
We have built a solid corporate culture over the last few years.
We develop a learning organisation with a winning mindset while engaging our teams in our mission.
Our textile tradition
We are proud to have a long history of textile production in the UK. AltiMed, an Urgo Medical brand, has a long history beginning in 1928, when a specialist manufacturer of narrow fabrics was founded in Shepshed, Leicestershire. Throughout the 1960s, 70s and 80s the company, originally called Parema Ltc, became a major supplier of narrow fabrics to the garment industry, supplying well known customers like Marks & Spencer and Sara Lee Corporation.
In the early 1990s, Parema developed the ‘K’ range of compression and retention bandages – K-Band, K-Lite, K-Plus and K-Four. After successfully marketing these brands for 10 years, Parema sold this part of the business to Urgo Medical – and we still manufacture and market the K range in the UK today!
Meanwhile, Parema continued to develop its narrow fabric range, producing compression garments under the name of AltiMed. In 2010 AltiMed was also acquired by Urgo Medical, adding the compression hosiery range to the already-successful bandage range purchased 10 years previously. AltiMed remains in our portfolio today, and our hosiery is still British made in our factory in Shepshed, Leicestershire.
Our partnership with the NHS
At Urgo Medical we are proud to have a core mission of “healing people”. We support healthcare professionals to heal people with evidence-based treatments and innovative services, so that life can start again for patients.
This comes from:
- Our investment in innovative technologies
- Placing the patient at the heart of everything we do
- Caring for care-givers
- The culture of partnership we value
The NHS is on the verge of another new frontier with the realisation of ICS’s to help support the NHS long term plan with the core purpose of an ICS being to:
• Improve outcomes in population health and healthcare
• Tackle inequalities in outcomes, experience and access
• Enhance productivity and value for money
We have a rich history of bringing innovation to market:
Within the new ICS structure, the rapid adoption of innovations that can be easily implemented and which accelerate the outcomes at any point during the patient journey will be vital, especially at a time when wound care expenditure is increasing by 48% per annum from £5.6 Billion (2012/2013) to £8.3 Billion (2017/2018).
In order to support the NHS with realising the benefit of
these innovations, we have invested in the largest and most experienced wound
care team to support our vision of partnership and help us realise these goals.
In addition, we also have a suite of value-added tools that
help support optimal outcomes:
- Formulary support and economic impact
- Dedicated local team
- Application videos
- Digital support, including Measure&Go
- Pathway development, implementation and measurement
- Patient support and materials
- TILI for accurate diagnosis
- Audit and wound outcome trackers
- Educational support and CPD-accredited modules
- TVLC Competency Framework and business skills
Looking for more information on how Urgo Medical can partner with you to achieve great outcomes? Read more about our previous partnerships here:
We are proud to be represented by our passionate teams across the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) and in Ireland.
Our Head Office teams and Industry teams located in Shepshed contribute significantly to our mission, enabling our Field teams (Healthcare Partnership Managers, Product Specialists, Clinical Trainers, Clinical Specialists) to provide you with best-in-class support and training across the UK and Ireland.